Kindle Fire HD is already the best-selling product on Amazon worldwide since its launch. Today, Amazon.co.uk is excited to announce that Kindle Fire HD 8.9”—the large-screen version of Amazon’s best-selling HD tablet—is now available to customers at www.amazon.co.uk.
The 8.9” Kindle Fire HD features a stunning 1920×1200 HD display with 254 ppi, exclusive Dolby audio, a powerful processor and graphics engine, and dual antenna, dual-band Wi-Fi with MIMO, and it is available for just £229 at www.amazon.co.uk/kindlefirehd.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” is the top-of-the-line Kindle Fire. Features include:
- · A vibrant 8.9”, 1920×1200 resolution display at 254 ppi.
- · Dual antenna, dual-band Wi-Fi with MIMO technology
- · The latest generation TI OMAP 4470 processor and Imagination SGX544 graphics engine capable of over 12 billion floating point operations per second.
- · Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio—the standard in high-end audio—available exclusively on Kindle Fire HD.
- · Exceptional battery life—Kindle Fire HD 8.9” gets 10 hours of battery life.
- · Front-facing HD camera with customised Skype application for video calling from around the world.
- · World’s best content ecosystem—over 22 million movies, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines.
- · “Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere” with Amazon apps available on the largest number of platforms so customers can enjoy their Amazon content on their devices.
- · Amazon’s top-rated, world-class customer service.
Kindle Fire is a Gateway for Services
Kindle Fire is more than just great hardware—it’s a service. When a customer orders a Kindle Fire, it arrives pre-registered to their Amazon account and greets them by name. All of the customer’s Kindle content is there waiting for them to download and start reading—no long set-up process, and no syncing with a cable. Kindle Fire also comes with instant access to Amazon’s digital content right from the device, including all of the features customers love about shopping on Amazon—personalised recommendations, customer reviews, one-click purchasing and more. Whenever customers shop on Amazon, buy a Kindle, or buy digital content, they know that they are also getting Amazon’s world-class customer service.
Stunning Custom HD Display
The 8.9” display on Kindle Fire HD features an incredible 254 pixels per inch with a resolution of 1920×1200, capable of playing movies and TV shows in up to 1080p high definition. Kindle Fire HD also uses Gorilla Glass to provide a laminated touch sensor to reduce glare and make the display easy to view even in overhead light, and an Advanced True Wide polarising filter that results in a display that shows the same deep contrast and rich, detailed colour from any angle.
High-End Laptop-Quality Wi-Fi—Faster Downloads and High-Speed Streaming
Kindle Fire HD comes with dual-band Wi-Fi and can automatically switch between the 2.4 GHz network and the less crowded 5 GHz network, resulting in better range and less interference. In addition, dual antennas and Multiple In/Multiple Out (MIMO) allow for higher bandwidth and longer range.
16 or 32 GB of On-Device Storage, Plus Free Cloud Storage for Amazon Content
The large screen Kindle Fire is available with 16 or 32 GB of on-device storage. This large on-device storage capacity is in addition to the free storage Amazon provides for Amazon digital content in the Amazon Cloud. Amazon digital content is automatically backed up for free in the Amazon Cloud’s Worry-Free Archive where it’s available anytime.
All-New Email and Calendar
The new Kindle Fire family features world-class Microsoft Exchange integration, with fine-tuned performance on many of the most critical email functions. For example, typical Exchange accounts sync with the oldest emails first, ending with the most recent emails—Kindle Fire instead syncs with newer emails first, then with older emails, giving customers faster access to the most recent emails they are looking for. Kindle Fire also features a new calendar app, making it easy for customers to stay connected and keep track of their schedules. The new email client offers support for the world’s most popular email providers—including Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, and more.
Cloud-Accelerated Silk Browser
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” comes with instant access to Amazon Silk with the unique “split browser” architecture that leverages the computing speed and power of Amazon Web Services to deliver content fast. The Amazon Silk browser features an updated core rendering engine and a reengineered transport layer that contribute to fast page loads. Customers can experience full-screen browsing, reading view, and improved browsing with most-visited, trending and recommended sites all available from a single screen.
Photos Brought to Life
Photos come alive in stunning high-resolution on Kindle Fire HD. Fire’s mosaic view arranges personal photos beautifully, and customers will be delighted to see their best shots on their TV with HDMI out. Kindle Fire lets customers easily import their photos from Facebook and because their photos are securely stored in the Amazon cloud, they never have to worry about losing their favourite pictures.
Powerful World-Class Processor—Snappy and Smooth
An HD display and HD content must be driven by a powerful processor and optimised software. The 8.9” Kindle Fire HD is powered by the latest generation OMAP4 4470 processor and Imagination SGX544 graphics engine capable of over 12 billion floating point operations per second and both Kindle Fire HD 7” and 8.9” come with higher memory bandwidth than Tegra 3. Combining the latest generation processors with significant customisation of the Kindle Fire software by Amazon engineers results in a snappy and smooth experience for the user.
Dual Stereo Speakers and Exclusive Dolby Audio—The Standard for Tablet Audio
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” combines dual stereo speakers with the Dolby Digital Plus audio platform—the standard in high performance audio—to offer a world-class audio experience. Dolby’s audio suite for Kindle Fire HD includes technology used to adjust volume and deliver easy-to-understand dialogue in movies and TV shows. Kindle Fire HD automatically optimises the audio profile based on what a customer is doing, such as watching a movie, listening to music, using third party apps and also optimises for headphones versus speakers. All of these pieces combine to create an exceptional audio experience that results in clear, crisp and balanced sound quality.
10 Hours of Battery Life
With over 10 hours of battery life, the 8.9” Kindle Fire HD is optimised to deliver high performance without sacrificing battery life.
Thin and Light
Even with a custom display, a powerful processor, extra speakers and dual-band/dual-antenna Wi-Fi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9” weighs only 20 ounces / 567 grams and is just 8.8 mm thick.
Kindle Fire comes automatically pre-registered so customers can immediately start enjoying their digital content purchased from Amazon or shop for new content.
Connect with Bluetooth and HDMI
Kindle Fire HD supports Bluetooth, enabling customers to connect their wireless Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth speakers to listen to songs, videos or audiobooks. With Bluetooth connectivity, customers can also easily connect to a wide range of Bluetooth-enabled keyboards. HDMI out makes it easy for customers to connect Kindle Fire HD to their big-screen TV to enjoy their favourite HD videos and photos.
Stay in Touch with Front-Facing HD Camera
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” features a front-facing HD camera. Skype created a customised app tailored for Kindle Fire HD that is available for free in the Amazon Appstore and lets you make HD video calls at home and abroad. Kindle Fire HD makes it easy for the over 250 million customers already using Skype to get in touch with friends and family.
All the Content—Over 22 Million Movies, TV Shows, Songs, Apps, Games, Books, Audiobooks and Magazines
Kindle Fire offers customers a huge selection of digital content, including thousands of exclusives:
- Amazon subsidiary LOVEFiLM, Europe’s leading film subscription service, offers customers thousands of movies and TV shows available for streaming. Every Kindle Fire HD 8.9” comes with a 30 day free trial of LOVEFiLM.
- X-Ray for Movies, Kindle Fire HD uses the power of IMDb to bring amazon’s exclusive X-Ray service to films, to instantly see which actors are currently on screen.
- Instant access to the most popular apps and games, Facebook, BBC iPlayer, Temple Run 2, Real Racing 3 and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? 2013 HD.
- Customers also have access to popular Appstore features like the ’Free App of the Day’, and the Appstore includes popular Amazon features such as personalised recommendations, Customer Reviews and 1-Click payments. In order to ensure that customers have the best possible experience with the apps they purchase, apps are Amazon-tested and backed by Amazon’s world-class customer support. Apps and games purchased from Amazon can be used across a customer’s Android devices, enabling them to buy an app or game once and enjoy it everywhere.
- · Built for Gaming with full tilt, turn and multi-touch controls, and the exclusive Gamecircle service, Kindle Fire HD allows customers to enjoy the most popular games, including Temple Run 2, Real Racing 3 and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? 2013 HD.
- · Great prices: A selection of popular Gaming apps will be available at only £0.99 from March 11 up to March 17.
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9” gives customers access to all the latest apps and games.
- For kids: Thomas the Tank Engine, Ice Age Village, My Little Pony, Hello Kitty Café and Dr Zeus the Cat in the Hat.
- Top games apps: Cut the Rope HD, Temple Run 2, Plants vs Zombies , Dead Space, Real Racing 3.
- Top popular apps: Facebook, BBC iPlayer, Skype, LinkedIn and Evernote and Spotify.
- Millions of songs from hundreds of thousands of artists. Customers can stream purchases from the cloud, download playlists for offline listening, and store their personal collection in the cloud for access anytime, anywhere.
- Over 1.5 million Kindle books, with the largest number of bestsellers, and over 800,000 books priced at £3.99 or less. This includes a large selection of children’s books, such as Dora the Explorer, Peppa Pig and The Tiger Who Came to Tea, graphic novels such as The Watchmen and cookbooks from Britain’s best loved chefs, such as ‘Nigellissima’ all available in rich colour – all optimised for Kindle Fire HD 8.9”.
- Amazon Prime members can choose from over 300,000 titles, including all 7 Harry Potter books, to borrow for free as part of Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, as frequently as a book a month with no waiting and no due dates.
- Over 500 magazines—including Mail Plus, OK!, Marie Claire, Top Gear Magazine, Vogue, What’s on TV and Woman with glossy full-colour layouts, HD photography, and beautifully detailed illustrations.
- Over 80,000 professionally-narrated audiobook titles available, with free samples to listen to before buying.
Best Cross-Platform Interoperability with “Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere”
With apps available on the largest number of devices and platforms, Kindle makes it easier than ever to access content anytime, anywhere. Customers can read and sync their Kindle books across iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, Android phones and tablets, Windows Phones and in their web browsers with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Free Month of Amazon Prime
Amazon Prime is a membership programme that gives you and your family fast and unlimited One-Day delivery for eligible purchases. You’ll also be entitled to reduced rates on upgrades to Express and Evening Delivery. Kindle owners can borrow popular Kindle books at no extra cost, as frequently as one book per month, from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. Choose from over 300,000 titles, including all 7 Harry Potter books, as well as many of the top 100 best sellers of the month of February 2013. Customers who are new to Prime get one free month of Amazon Prime when they purchase Kindle Fire.
Top-Rated, World-Class Customer Service
When a customer buys a Kindle Fire, or buys Kindle content, they know that with that they are also getting Amazon’s world-class customer service. Customers have been shopping on Amazon for over 15 years, and they continue to do so because of the unparalleled end-to-end customer experience.
Beautiful Leather Covers
Covers for Kindle Fire HD feature a premium textured leather exterior in a variety of colours and a subtle woven nylon interior to provide the lightest and thinnest form of protection. The integrated magnetic clasp ensures the cover remains securely closed while in a backpack, purse, or briefcase. The cover automatically wakes Kindle Fire HD upon opening and puts it to sleep when closed, making it easy to dive right back into whatever content a customer is enjoying.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” comes with special offers that appear on the lock screen and customers can choose a Fire with Special Offers for a lower price—or not. Examples of special money-saving offers that customers will enjoy include offers on items like Kindle accessories or kindle books, apps, games and MP3.
Pricing and Availability
Kindle Fire HD 8.9” is available today for just £229 at www.amazon.co.uk/kindlefirehd.