After more than two decades and 13 studio albums later, Therapy? continue their assault on the senses by embarking a 12 date UK tour this winter.
[youtube id=”zwwFRrBJajA” width=”610″ height=”350″]
Kicking off in Birmingham on Friday 23rd November, the influential Northern Irish trio will play an enthralling set of old favourites and brand new material from their most recent album, ‘A Brief Crack Of Light’, released in February earlier this year.
Co-produced by the band and Adam Sinclair (New York Dolls, The Unthanks) in Blast Studios in Newcastle, ‘A Brief Crack Of Light’ is the follow-up to 2009’s acclaimed ‘Crooked Timber’.
Written, says frontman Andy Cairns, about the absurdity of human life, ‘A Brief Crack Of Light’ draws upon myriad disparate influences – Black Flag’s primal clenched fist aggression, the skewed genius of Stewart Lee’s coruscating comic monologues, the writings of Samuel Beckett, the irresistible swing and swagger of Charlie Mingus among them – to deliver a dark, unsettling compendium of 21st century schizoid noise.
From the foreboding, ominous lurch of ‘Living In The Shadow Of A Terrible Thing’, to the haunting, sparse, shimmering beauty of ‘Ecclesiastes’, the ten tracks are claustrophobic, corrosive and challenging. It’s a pitch-black survivor’s manual for lost souls cast adrift in an uncomprehending, incomprehensible world, a beautifully delineated road map of man’s ugliest impulses and starkest dreads. Baldly put, it’s the finest distillation yet of an uncompromising, idiosyncratic sound and vision Therapy? have honed to a dark art across a remarkable 23 year career.
“A Brief Crack of Live” Tour
- Friday 23rd November, Birmingham, O2 Academy2
- Saturday 24th November, Bristol, Thekla
- Sunday 25th November, Nottingham, Rescue Rooms
- Monday 26th November, Liverpool, O2 Academy2
- Wednesday 28th November, Newcastle, O2 Academy2
- Thursday 29th November, Sheffield, O2 Academy2
- Friday 30th November, Glasgow, Garage
- Saturday 1st December, Manchester, Academy 2
- Tuesday 4th December, Reading, Sub 89
- Wednesday 5th December, Cardiff, Globe
- Thursday 6th December, Portsmouth, The Wedgewood Rooms
- Friday 7th December, London, Koko