The voting for the public Brit Awards categories closes at midday on Friday and as things stand, One Direction are 4/6 favourites to scoop the coveted Best British Single with William Hill. The biggest mover in the market, however, has been The Military Wives Choir who have been backed in from 25/1 to 3/1 to win the award in a gamble reminiscent of their march to the top of the Christmas Chart. Adele is the 6/1 third favourite.
“One Direction have such a strong fanbase that it would be hard to see them being deserted when it comes to public award, although The Military Wives and Adele have been perhaps the two biggest musical success stories of the last 12 months,” said Hill’s spokesman Joe Crilly.
The biggest Brit Award bet this year has come in from Plymouth, where a confident punter has backed Adele to the tune of £3000 at 1/5 to win Best British Female while Ed Sheeran has been backed across the country, with bets of over £500 changing hands for him to win Best British Male at 2/5.
William Hill Odds:
- Best British Single: 4/6 One Direction (What Makes You Beautiful); 3/1 Gareth Malone/Military Wives Choir (Wherever You Are); 6/1 Adele (Someone Like You); 10/1 The Wanted (Glad You Came); 12/1 JLS (She Makes Me Wanna); 14/1 Ed Sheeran (The A Team); 16/1 Jessie J (Price Tag); 25/1 Olly Murs (Heart Skips A Beat); 40/1 Example (Changed The Way You Kissed Me); 66/1 Pixie Lott (All About Tonight)
- Best British Album: 1/10 Adele (21); 9/1 Coldplay (Mylo Xyloto); 10/1 Florence & The Machine (Ceremonials); 12/1 Ed Sheeran (+); 20/1 PJ Harvey (Let England Shake)
- Best British Group: 1/9 Coldplay; 10/1 Kasabian; 14/1 Chase & Status; 14/1 Arctic Monkeys; 14/1 Elbow
- Best British Male Solo Artist: 2/5 Ed Sheeran; 9/4 Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds; 13/2 Professor Green; 25/1 James Blake; 25/1 James Morrison
- Best British Female Solo Artist: 1/8 Adele; 9/2 Jessie J; 16/1 Florence & The Machine; 33/1 Laura Marling; 33/1 Kate Bush
- Best British Breakthrough Act: 2/5 Ed Sheeran; 15/8 Jessie J; 12/1 Emeli Sande; 20/1 Anna Calvi; 25/1 The Vaccines